I started dancing in the early 1980's in Chicago, at the Old Town School of Folk Music. The folks there called the dances "Barn Dances", and I believe they still do (I moved to New England in 1988). There were no introductory sessions; I do remember that Al Olson was my first partner (for those of you who remember Al and his famous blue nylon shirt), and he taught me how to swing during my very first dance. I loved every minute of it! I have not been back to the dances there since 1988, so I cannot speak to the present situation there.

Here in Southeastern Massachusetts and neighboring dances (Cape Cod, Rehoboth, MA, Providence, RI, no introductory sessions have been held recently,, nor have any been offered during the last 20+ years that I have been dancing and calling here. This would tend to support the observation that, given the long history of dancing here in New England, there never developed the perception that dancers needed some form of pre-dance class. I would love to know, from the serious historians out there, whether or not our forebears consciously avoided classes in order to distinguish themselves from the social classes who paid dancing teachers to instruct their children.

Very interesting thread, thanks for bringing it to our attention, David!
Linda Leslie