Floor manager, as a named role, is about as old as "prompter" which might be the same age as "caller".

At public balls in the latter 1800s, the floor manager would make sure sets got formed, make introductions for people who wanted to be introduced (which had to happen before they could dance together) and generally take charge of things which a prompter at the top of the large hall couldn't be expected to manage. (Presumably also ejected the disorderly, echoed prompts if necessary ... but I don't have that from a written source.)

There might be multiple floor managers.

-- Alan