I haven't been following this topic of lead/follow at all but Bree's statement really caught my eye. I'm very curious to know what it's like to dance as a women with men who have a wide range of skills and personalities.

Sorry if this has already been discussed...

I should set aside an evening and dance disguised as a women to really understand what the experience is like.

Tom

I'd like to repeat the point that the terms lead/follow are implicitly
communicating to (some) male dancers that they are in charge. Not only does this create pressure, but I think it contributes to a growing trend I'm noticing at my local dance; fairly new male dancers assume I'll happily follow their lead and seem dismayed (even insulted) if I choose not to. This
sets up a dynamic of conflict rather than the friendly cooperation I
consider the soul of contra dancing.

Bree Kalb
Carrboro, NC

-