From: callers-boun...@sharedweight.net
[mailto:callers-boun...@sharedweight.net] On Behalf Of tavi merrill
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 1:51 PM
To: call...@sharedweight.net
Subject: Re: [Callers] Repertoire...

Chris, indeed, panning for gold, trying not to get distracted by diamonds in
the rough...

Yoyo is right on with the understanding that down the hall (i was thinking
4-in-line) dances at a basic level are quite easy to find, and something
that i tend not to use more than twice in a night. Re: R&L through
transitions, i've tried substituting a California twirl, but find that in
crowds where heavy beginner numbers demand lower piece-count dances,
California twirls can be befuddling (particularly after the pass-through,
where experienced dancers may reflexively move to a CT or twirl, confusing
themselves and newbie partner/neighbors). A friend of mine said (i
paraphrase) "for a newbie, any kind of twirl early on can be like a
brain-wipe", and i tend to agree.

In the search for accessible dances, going dancing probably IS the best way
of finding appropriate material... it requires a little mental recalibration
for me to go from "whoa, that was a COOL dance" to, "What a nice thoroughly
user-friendly dance!"

I hope this thread has been useful to someone else out there... Thanks to
all for your repertoire suggestions!

Dance in good health,
tavi