Brussels sprouts and calculus are good things that everyone should be into
that have nothing at all to do with contra dancing.  Unlike swinging and
other moves and, yes, touching people of the same gender, which is an
integral part of the dance.  I'm not going to shy away from moves simply
because of others' homophobia.

As to Janet's point, yes, I agree that it can be awkward when you don't
know who wants to do which part of the swing.  So I'm not against
specifying a default hold for those situations-- I just don't like the
Galway hold in particular.  I'm ok with some other neutral swings (like,
right hand on the other dancer's shoulder blade, left hand grasped together
in the middle, above the heads of the two dancers, whatever that's called).