There have been suggestions that same-gender interaction can be
stressful.  In my experience this is especially true with men in the UK.

Someone said "My impression is that most urban contra environments have
at least a few people who swap genders".  This may be true in the USA,
and lots of ladies in the UK do take the man's role where numbers are
not balanced.  But very few UK men take the lady's role on a regular
basis.

When I do I often find that other men appear to be uncomfortable with a
close-hold swing.  I normally now go for a Galway Swing when I meet
another man for a swing: Start with an Allemande Right hold, hook your
left fingers around the other man's right elbow and buzz-step - makes
for a great symmetrical swing.

Here is a dance that uses it to give same-gender swings without stress:

Galway Swing (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Improper

A1:     Men Galway Swing
        Partner Gypsy to an Ocean Wave (Men in the middle with Left
hands)
A2:     Balance the Wave (R/L); Slide to the Right (Rory O'More)
        Ladies Galway Swing
B1:     Neighbour Gypsy Meltdown into a Swing
A2:     Long Lines Go Forward & Back
A2:     Half Hey (Ladies start Right Shoulder) - Men look for a new Man
after passing Right Shoulders with the old Man

The main challenge is stopping your swing at the right point so you can
flow into the gypsy - plan ahead!

Happy dancing,
John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362