Can we please just get back to arguing about what's worse a whole night of
duple-minor improper contras with 2 swings or a variety of forms and
figures?

As someone who often dances the part of the lady, I am very familiar with
people's aversion to same-gender swings and gypsies.  The people aren't
typically rude, just really uncomfortable.  I let them take the lead.  If
they're comfortable with an elbow-swing we do an elbow swing.  If they just
want to stand there, well I'll bop around and wait for the next move.

As a caller, we have a line to tread between being an entertainer for a
group that has (maybe) paid us to be there and pushing our own value
system.  I completely support pushing your values whether it's more (or
less) variety in formations or different lengths of dances or a style point
like not clapping on Petronella turns.

I like to push my agendas gently, so that everyone has a good time and I
get invited back.  My program choices and how I advertise anything that may
not be in the mainstream of what people in that community want reflect
this.  I warn people if the next dance has something I think they might
dislike enough to sit out rather than dance.  If your particular soapbox
issue is important enough to you that you want to make all your dances
squares or contras or triplets or men gypsy into a swing, be my guest.  And
if you have no problem with the way that will limit the venues where you
will be invited to call, well I don't either.

--Ryan S.
Cincinnati, OH (U.S.A.)