Hi all,
I call regularly with the same band and I have noticed that there are a couple
of sets that they play in which I consistently mess up. In the middle of an
evening of everything going well, I suddenly find that I am lost and have a
hard time finding my way back, even with extreme focus.  This, needless to say,
is not good!

I've been trying to identify these tunes so that I can be prepared to pay
really close attention before they start.  I have also begun to wonder, though,
whether some jigs/reels are just not as good for dancing as others. I have been
discussing this with the band, raising the idea that maybe they could save
these tunes that challenge me for some of their non-dance gigs (fairs,
bandstand, background music, etc).  Some of them are receptive, others not.

I wonder whether any of you have noticed tunes that are particularly difficult
to call to, and how you have handled it.

The one I have noticed most recently is Sheepskin and Beeswax.  Here's what one
of the band members wrote to me about it:  "Rhythmically, it's a challenging
tune for the band.  There's a lot of syncopation going on between instruments
and because it's French Canadian to play it properly means lots of upbeat
emphasis.  It's a challenging tune to play well. Even if we played it very well
and fast enough (and that's been a problem for dancers and caller) I think it
would still be challenging to call to and dance to because of how the rhythm
and notes don't go well together."

Thanks,
Delia Clark

Delia Clark