Beeswax and Sheepskin is one of my favorite tunes to play, and dance to.  I
don't actually really agree with the musician quoted; it's not particularly
rhythmically complex, and I don't think the upbeat emphasis detracts much
from understanding the phrasing of Quebecois tunes.  The problem, in my
view, is more along the lines of what Suzanne identified.  There is very
little difference between the phrases in the A and B sections, which is
compounded by the fact that some people playing the tune go back to the A
phrase over the second part of the last time through the B section.  So the
tune ends up sounding to some like a four-bar phrase repeated five times
followed by a four-bar phrase repeated three times, instead of 4 of the
first, three of the second, then back to one of the first.  It's a strictly
modal tune, based on a six note scale, so can be incredibly monotonous (or
trance-like, if that's how you prefer to see it) if played by bands that
don't change the feeling up at all.

I've noticed this issue with a lot of strictly modal tunes that have little
harmonic complexity and repeated phrases.  My advice would be to ask the
band to do something to differentiate sections, or even to mark the return
to the beginning of the tune.  There are lots of things bands can do for
this; for Beeswax and Sheepskin, for instance, bands could play over a D
major chord instead of an A minor in the B section, or even just over the
last four bars of the second B section.  Or any number of other harmonic
changes.  Bands can also put stops at the end of phrases, hits at the
beginning of the B section, or other rhythmic variations, too.  I think
most creative bands, when told what the problem is, can change to adapt to
it.  But that's not particularly helpful when you don't know the tune ahead
of time and have it sprung on by surprise.  Another alternative, as Don V.
alluded to, is to ask bands to use more strongly phrased tunes with
well-differentiated A and B parts to start off every set.

As a musician, for me personally, the most limiting part of playing for
contra dances is keeping improvisation down.  I sympathize with the caller
in Suzanne's side-story below; it can be very difficult to help dancers
find the phrasing when nobody in the band is playing the tune.  I don't
really have any good ideas for callers faced with a band in this situation,
other than to try to communicate as best as possible that everybody is
there for the dancers, and hearing the tune (or something phrased like the
tune) at least every other time through the dance can be very helpful.

-Dave