Dave has good advice here.  I think the short answer is: Don't assume that
the problem is the tune itself.  Another band--or the same band in a
different mood--can make the same tune a delight or a disaster.  So don't
"condemn" a particular tune until you've heard several bands confuse
dancers with that tune.

I try to remember to let the band know that when I count out four beats
with my fingers it is a signal that the first figure of the dance starts
right after those beats.  I warn them that if something goes "wrong" or if
I get confused I will give them that signal to make it clear where the
"top" of the dance is.  This signal is useful if the band drops a "B" part
or if the dance gets off synch for any reason.  It can also signal that the
particular tune, or arrangement, might be confusing to dancers.

- Greg McKenzie