On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Read Weaver <rwea...@igc.org> wrote:
> In the last few years, I find myself dancing a lot more dances that end with
> Circle left 3 places and pass through
>
> What I find is that about 3/4 of the dancers take 8 counts to do the circle 3
> places, then a brief but indeterminate amount of time to do the pass through,
> and then arrive late to the next couple & next figure. (The other 1/4 take 6
> counts to circle, 2 to pass through, and are then on the music's phrasing for
> the next figure.)

Don't forget those who opt for 6-8 counts to circle + 2 counts to
twirl their neighbor + 2 to pass through. (The twirl doesn't
necessarily break the flow, but it can make late dancers later.)

> Have others noticed it as an issue? (And am I right that it's a relatively
> recent issue?) Thoughts on what to do about it, if anything?

Yes, it's an issue. I have noticed that while calling, calling "pass
through" and "balance" with enough leading (e.g. "..._pass_ _through_,
_on_ to the _next_, _bal_ance _now_!") can help, especially once the
dancers have the pattern and I'm going to drop out soon.

Teaching-wise, one can also mention that the circle has to be
purposeful (the same tip for circle left all the way in 8 beats). But
teaching can only do so much.

Yoyo Zhou