John wrote:

Read also mentioned "avoidance of teaching".

> But we ARE teachers.  You may CALL it a walk-through, but what you are
> actually doing is TEACHING the dance.  And if the dance will work better if
> you point out some key items then go head and point them out, i.e. teach!

I know that many of us love teaching.  In fact it seems to be one reason
many take up calling in the first place.  But teaching from the mike at an
open, public contra dance can be very counterproductive...particularly with
regard to your efforts to integrate first-timers into the fun.

You love to teach.  But so do most of the regular dancers.  A big part of
the fun of partnering with newcomers is being able to guide them through
the dance and share your passion for this wonderful dance form.  While the
caller is teaching verbally it is almost impossible for the regulars to
enjoy their own "teaching" role.  If you really want the regulars to
partner with first-timers one of the key "tricks" is to make sure the
regulars will have time to take the lead and "teach" their partner during
the walk through.

This is what makes partnering with regulars fun,  And that is why I try to
keep my prompts to an absolute minimum during the walk-through.

A caller who jabbers constantly during the walk-through can transform the
joy of a collaborative learning experience into a dreadful chore as the
regulars are required to stand by silently while the caller *explains *a
move that they could *show *their partner in less time than it would take
the caller to say the *name *of the move.

And later the caller will complain that it is so hard to get the regulars
to partner with first-timers.

Instead of "explaining" that a circle takes only "6 counts" I would gently
suggest that callers consider simply giving the prompt "pass through" so
that it ends precisely two counts before the end of the phrase.

That way you can "say it all" with only two words and the dancers get to
keep moving in time with the live music.  Make it fun!

Just a thought.

Greg McKenzie
West Coast, USA