On Wed, Feb 12, 2014, Greg McKenzie wrote:

> Well-structured calling is not easy.  It does however make a subtle but
> significant difference in how confident the dancers feel--particularly at
> open, public social events.  That is why I structure my calls carefully and
> write the calls out verbatim on my cards.  That is also why I advocate for
> callers at open public contra dances to use dance cards when calling.
> Making up calls on the fly often puts the onus on the dancers to get the
> timing right.

While I don't particularly disagree with you, particularly for me at this
stage in my calling career, I do find it interesting that your advice to
avoid making up calls on the fly is almost universally ignored by MWSD
callers -- and with the majority of square dance callers (which is to
say, almost all the good ones), it's not the dancers who face the onus of
getting the timing right.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/