Note that the Scottish “Gay Gordons” dance, which has been a standard there for
I don’t know how long, features a promenade where couples walk forward then
turn and continue backward, then come back forward and turn and continue
backing up again. Doing four instead of two in line would seem a likely
evolution.
Martha