Richard Jones wrote:

> Ubuntu's OCaml support is very flaky.

Sorry, this is not true.

In my day job we have an embedded device which is currently built
on top of Ubuntu Dapper and which we're in the process of moving to
Ubuntu Hardy.

With Dapper there was one flaky package, libcairo-ocaml-dev for
which we pulled the source package from Ubuntu Edgy and compiled
for Dapper.

Our Dapper and Hardy systems then have about a dozen utilities,
tools and daemons written in Ocaml. This experience has been a
complete joy. My manager who started as an Ocaml sceptic is a lot
less sceptical now.

> They don't have developers
> committed to it and take a random snapshot of what's in Debian.

A huge amount of kudos to the Debian Ocaml Maintainers. They
do an fantastic job. However, you are seriously overstating
any problems Ubuntu may have at least with regard to the LTS
(long term support) releases.

Erik