On Friday 10 October 2008 04:30:53 Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
> > You mean the program that generates OCaml's bytecodes is
> > written in OCaml.
>
> Commonly known as a compiler.

One of the compilers, yes.

> > the program that executes OCaml's bytecodes
>
> Commonly known as a virtual machine.

No, I was referring specifically to the interpreter (byterun/interp.c) and not
the run time. So not the whole VM. What is done with the rest of the VM is up
in the air.

An interpreter of OCaml's bytecode written in OCaml or a JIT compiler written
in MetaOCaml would just use their own run time. A JIT compiler using LLVM
would probably interop with the existing run-time.

IIRC, there are differences between the native code and byte code run times
but I do not recall the specifics. I don't know which would be easiest to
target from a JIT compiler.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e