Mike Lin wrote:

> I use NEdit with the syntax highlighting patterns available from
> n8gray.org. A bonus is that for some reason this works perfectly with
> ocaml+twt with no changes.

I've been using Nedit since about 1995 (when it was a binary only
download) and I agree, Nedit is an amazingly capable editor which is
really easy to use (cw say vi and emacs) with great syntax highlighting,
configurability, macros and scriptability.

I do however have two problems with Nedit; it lacks utf-8 support and
it requires  the Motif toolkit. On Linux Motif is a PITA because
OpenMotif is buggy (and its license is not and cannot OSI approved)
and Lesstif is buggy and unmaintained.

Nedit is a fantastic editor, but I really can't recommend it. I've been
looking closely at Gedit and its getting close the Nedit in features
and capabilities but it isn't quite there yet.

Erik