On 05/01/2010 11:44, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
Reusing the work done in the Yi [1][2] editor for the Haskell syntax should
be pretty straightforward. Very long and painful however due to the complexity
of the grammar of a real language.

[1]: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yi
[2]: http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~bernardy/FunctionalIncrementalParsing.pdf

Thanks for the links. The paper is a very interesting reading indeed. Its main focus is on incrementality (not reparsing the whole buffer at every keystroke). I'm not so sure how important it is in the context of the current discussion though: I guess that with an efficient parsing technology and modern computers, parsing even a big buffer at every keystroke should be fast enough. Trivial optimizations like storing the internal state of the parser at some point could also be used if needed.

I'm more concerned about the error recovery aspect; the paper suggests the use of annotated error recovery rules, but writing them for a grammar like OCaml's does not seem an easy task at all.

Alain