On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 04:16:03PM -0800, Warren Harris wrote:
> I would like to determine what percentage of my application's cpu time
> is spent in the garbage collector (for tuning purposes, but also just
> to monitor the overhead). Is there any way to obtain this information
> short of using gprof? Additional information provided by Gc.stat would
> be ideal, or perhaps a Gc.alarm that was called at the beginning of
> the gc cycle, but neither of these seem to exist.

I would have to say what's wrong with using gprof?

On a related topic: Has anyone tried using SystemTap with userspace
DTrace-compatible probes to measure anything about total kernel +
userspace usage of OCaml programs?  ie, this sort of thing:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/AddingUserSpaceProbingToApps

but with OCaml programs.

Rich.

--