On Mar 1, 2010, at 12:54 AM, Richard Jones wrote:

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 04:16:03PM -0800, Warren Harris wrote:
I would like to determine what percentage of my application's cpu time
is spent in the garbage collector (for tuning purposes, but also just
to monitor the overhead). Is there any way to obtain this information
short of using gprof? Additional information provided by Gc.stat would
be ideal, or perhaps a Gc.alarm that was called at the beginning of
the gc cycle, but neither of these seem to exist.

I would have to say what's wrong with using gprof?

What's wrong with it is that it provides no way to monitor gc overhead in an active service.

On a related topic: Has anyone tried using SystemTap with userspace
DTrace-compatible probes to measure anything about total kernel +
userspace usage of OCaml programs?  ie, this sort of thing:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/AddingUserSpaceProbingToApps

but with OCaml programs.

Rich.

--