On Mar 2, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Peter Hawkins wrote:

I would have recommended using oprofile on linux, which I greatly
prefer to GCC's built-in profiling support for profiling C programs.
It has a low and tunable overhead, and because it's a sampling
profiler it doesn't perturb the results anywhere near as much as
standard profiling instrumentation.

Unfortunately last time I checked it had poor OCaml support (no
support for unwinding the OCaml call stack, so no context-sensitivity
in the profiles). That said, you probably don't need
context-sensitivity to determine the fraction of execution time spent
in the GC.

Peter - gprof with ocaml works quite well:
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual031.html

Warren