That's definitely how we've done it before, but the upgrading guide is suggesting something different for cap3, isn't it? Is this unintentional?

Again, it says:

"Before that you put stage-specific code to config/deploy/stage_name.rb, but now config/deploy.rb should contain only global options for all stages. Tasks like restarting Unicorns and preparing configs should now be placed in Capfile."