I can only make the strongest recommendation to Lee to remove the
recommendation to use the Capfile in this way.

Ultimately it's up to each implementer to determine how they want this done.

I for one don't like and wouldn't put implementation in the Capfile.

The Capfile should only contain the necessary minimum glue to make capistrano
work.

Implementation of your recipe structure should start in config/deploy.rb as it
always has. Sticking stuff in the Capfile in my mind violates the principle of
least surprise.