On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hira...@wso2.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Afkham Azeez <az...@wso2.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka
>> <hira...@wso2.com>wrote:

>>> Well this happens even right now. We do checkout tons of irrelevant code
>>> to build a single product. There is no way to simply checkout the components
>>> and features required to build a particular product. It's either all or
>>> nothing. So I don't think this is a strong enough reason to not do this.
>>>
>>> Having said that I also think that this is going to complicate products
>>> builds. So I think we need to have some mechanism in place to prevent that
>>> if we are going to implement this proposal. May be some profiles defined at
>>> product level? Individuals can build either the product distro or the
>>> Stratos distro when doing a build, but the builder machine will be dealing
>>> with the default profile. Any build failures in either module should be
>>> treated as high priority and taken care of by the product teams.
>>>

>> If you are an ESB developer, Stratos ESB is also your responsibility, not
>> mine or not the Stratos team's ony. So, if you make a change to ESB, you
>> better test the Stratos version of your ESB too. As it stands now, the
>> Stratos versions of all products are broken because the teams thought that
>> it is not their responsibility to keep that up to date.
>>

> +1
>
> If I wasn't clear enough, I'm in agreement with this idea. I also think
> this will reduce the number of points to update when we are making platform
> wide changes. But we need some way to selectively build the product or the
> cloud version of the product.

+1. I also think that Azeez's suggestion can be easily implemented using
separate maven profiles. Having modules like p2-profile-stratos and
distribution-stratos won't create any problems. Those will be built only
when the cloud profile of the product is built.

And also AFAIK, there are very few stratos related components and features
which takes very little time to get built compared to our platform. So those
won't make much difference to the build. Only think is we have to manage
maven profiles correctly to resolve complications.

Thanks,
~Isuru

> By default everything will be built so the nightly builds will pick up any
> build breaks.
>
> Thanks,
> Hiranya
>

>> When information & config are duplicated, it makes it difficult to
>> maintain. As of now, the Stratos ESB build pom.xml & other build xml files
>> are copies from the standalone version. Hence there are multiple places to
>> change. What I'm suggesting is to get it to one place so that the Stratos
>> products will at least build!
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Hiranya

>>> --
>>> Hiranya Jayathilaka
>>> Senior Software Engineer;
>>> WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org
>>> E-mail: hira...@wso2.com;  Mobile: +94 77 633 3491
>>> Blog: http://techfeast-hiranya.blogspot.com

>> --
>> *Afkham Azeez*
>> Senior Software Architect & Senior Manager; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com,
>> *
>> *
>> *Member; Apache Software Foundation;
>> **http://www.apache.org/*<http://www.apache.org/>
>> *
>> email: **az...@wso2.com* <az...@wso2.com>* cell: +94 77 3320919
>> blog: **http://blog.afkham.org* <http://blog.afkham.org>*
>> twitter: **http://twitter.com/afkham_azeez*<http://twitter.com/afkham_azeez>
>> *
>> linked-in: **http://lk.linkedin.com/in/afkhamazeez*
>> *
>> *
>> *Lean . Enterprise . Middleware*
>>

> --
> Hiranya Jayathilaka
> Senior Software Engineer;
> WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org
> E-mail: hira...@wso2.com;  Mobile: +94 77 633 3491

Isuru Suriarachchi
Technical Lead & Product Manager, WSO2 Application Server
WSO2 Inc. http://wso2.com
email : is...@wso2.com
blog : http://isurues.wordpress.com/

lean . enterprise . middleware