I agree that the orbits project should not be a part of the Carbon or
Carbon based products. Therefore we can make it a top level project, say
carbon-orbits. But I am not sure whether we need to remove dependencies
from the carbon svn project. It will complicate things. When we release
Carbon core, we need to release only the dependencies of Carbon. Therefore
we need to have a separation of dependencies.

IMV, service-stubs are part of the project. And aslo they are still
undergoing changes. Therefore I would consider keeping the service-stubs
separately in each of the projects. Please comment, if you have different
views.

Here is revised svn structure based on the received comments.

carbon-orbits

carbon
|--dependencies
   |--orbits (To wrap dependencies as orbit bundles. These cannot be added
to the top level carbon-orbits project. )
|--service-stubs
|--core (core set of bundles.)
|--features (Carbon core features)
|--product (Carbon product)

X (TODO we need to come up with a name. How about silicon. Dr. Sanjiva once
mentioned this name. :) )
|--dependencies
   |--orbits  (To wrap dependencies as orbit bundles. These cannot be added
to the top level carbon-orbits project. )
|--service-stubs
|--components
|--features
|--products

Thanks,
Sameera

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Amila Suriarachchi <am...@wso2.com> wrote:

> I think first we need to remove the dependencies and orbit from the carbon
> structure since they have nothing to do with carbon. Simply they produce a
> set of
> third party osgi bundles to be used with carbon.
>
> Same thing may be applied to service stubs since they only depend on the
> wsdl version. we can increment the service stubs version when the wsdl
> version or axis2 version changes (if required).
>
> for carbon we can have the structure you have suggested.
>
> If we think carbon components and features as independent entities, then
> they can have an independent truck branches etc .. Same thing
> can be done with products. Products can have its own trunk and branches
> and branch can always refer to released feature versions.
>
> But this model can lead to complications when installing other features to
> different products.
>
> thanks,
> Amila.
>

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Tharindu Mathew <thari...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> ++1, for the execution
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Senaka Fernando <sen...@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sameera, Pradeep,
>>>
>>> +1, but X should probably be a name of a derivative/allotrope of Carbon
>>> (like Diamond or Graphite) which makes our code names more meaningful.
>>>
>>> I really like the idea of having two-levels of dependencies and orbits
>>> very much, which simplifies the effort of doing a carbon release and
>>> sticking to that. Carbon must be just like the Linux kernel, and it can
>>> have its own release schedule.
>>>
>>> Please also note that carbon should continue to have a concept of
>>> service-stubs which can be reused by other components, and should also have
>>> an integration area.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Senaka.

>>> --
>>> *Senaka Fernando*
>>> Product Manager - WSO2 Governance Registry;
>>> Associate Technical Lead; WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com*
>>> Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://apache.org
>>>
>>> E-mail: senaka AT wso2.com
>>> **P: +1 408 754 7388; ext: 51736*; *M: +94 77 322 1818
>>> Linked-In: http://linkedin.com/in/senakafernando
>>>
>>> *
>>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tharindu
>>
>> blog: http://mackiemathew.com/
>> M: +94777759908

> *Amila Suriarachchi*
>
> Software Architect
> WSO2 Inc. ; http://wso2.com
> lean . enterprise . middleware
>
> phone : +94 71 3082805

Sameera Jayasoma
Technical Lead and Product Manager, WSO2 Carbon

WSO2, Inc. (http://wso2.com)
email: same...@wso2.com
blog: http://tech.jayasoma.org

Lean . Enterprise . Middleware