Hi Tim,

 very soon, your dream will become reality  :-)

We have thought about this before and proposed the procedure names

EMR.Image.Dicom  (to get)
EMR.Image.Dicom.Add  (to add)

Eventually also:

EMR.Image.Dicom.URL
EMR.Image.Dicom.URL.List

The  latter two will be useful for Java apps which retrieve the dicom data
from the server themselves as long you supply the url's. (this will avoid
retrieving the same data twice)

Of course one would argue why not use the already running EMR.Image.Add
procedure (which looks more generic) and just pass a flag to signal the server
that it is a dicom?

Well,
Reason 1:
 the guideline that states " the procedure name must be self explanatory", and
obviously the EMR.Image.Dicom.Add is better.

Reason2:
if a programmer (or program) can write
EMR.Image.Add( flagparam = dicom)
he can surely write
EMR.Image.Dicom.Add()
too.

Reason 3: if there no effort saved in using the more generic procedure (see
second reason) then I would vote to use the additional procedure which is
more self explanatory.

To Kurt:  you can stick to the EMR.Image.Add if you like. I presume you list
all images together regardless of their types (e.g. Dicom or no-Dicom). In
that case you  do not need to use separate procedures.

The care2x however stores and lists the dicom images separately so I would
vote for using the EMR.Image.Dicom.xxxxx procedures (at least for Care2x's
use).

However, this is open for discussions and demos.

Back to Tim: Adding the procedures both on the server and on the client is a
no-brainer as Kurt rightly hinted it in his reply. So you will be seeing this
in action soon at  care2x demo server .   If you upload dicoms to iPath,  you
can even do it right now.

Regards,
elpidio