Hi Reinier,

Thanks for the framework hints.
I will take a look about these two.

I am evaluating different frameworks following these criteria:
  - gpl-compatible license, because Care2x is under gpl
  - good backbone in the project - there should be more than one or two
developers and also well-known company. This ensures the quality and
stability.
  - future of the project - I don't want to use a framework that will
die in year or two (or has already died).

At the moment the best I could find is Zend Framework. It lacks lots of
features yet, but surely it evolves very fast.

Yes, you are right that we have to introduce changes one by one. This is
why I want first to build an independent prototype, see how it looks
like and then find way how to integrate it in Care2x.

PHP5 compatibility is definitely the first step. This will open many
doors. Then for example we can abandon adodb and build the db access on
top of framework classes like Zend_Db, then refactor user input for
security (Zend_InputFilter), then session, authorisation, MVC
architecture that will open widely the door for Ajax. And at some point
in time - extension points.

Greetings
Kaloyan