In a normal day we've gotten up to about 7K of authentications in one hour.
I've seen significantly more than that in a shorter period of time (possibly
even as low as within 10 minutes).  Those stats are from our Web
Registration period which we don't have logged any more.

That is obviously not our max.  Even during our peak registration each
machine is only at ~10% CPU utilization.

Cheers,
Scott