Wow.  So as you say, two layers of problems -- failure of SAML (or just
non-redeemed?) STs in the replicated instance, as well a problem with
Google resulting in a sort DOS 'attack' against the system.  From
experience locally, I would say the latter is more likely to be a
misconfigured browser or perhaps a mobile device (applications [compiled
and web] like Google Drive on mobile can behave oddly depending on how
you have your Google SSO set up).  Do the access logs show anything
consistent for these repeat STs -- i.e. same / similar followup URL in
the user request to CAS, same user agent, etc.?