I've set the logger to the following value get more in the logs but not the
Applying verse. What do you mean by a Spring Wiring issue? I know it gets
to the spring-configuration directory because my ldap.properties was
recognized after editing propertyFileConfigurer.xml.
When starting tomcat I see the system read this file though a
strace: lppe-configuration.xml. It actually opens all xml files in
spring-configuration directory. Any ideas on how I could track this down?

    <logger name="org.springframework">
        <level value="DEBUG" />
    </logger>

Is there a way maven can be setup to read these files and the tomcat
environment not?