I'm only considering shared sessions because that seems to be what's recommended in the CAS wiki.

Our networking team was unsure how sticky sessions at the load balancer would affect things (like applications validating STs, etc). Assuming I can get them happy with that solution, I'm perfectly happy to go that route.

-ds

On 7/6/2015 1:12 PM, Waldbieser, Carl wrote:
Dave,

We are going ahead with sticky sessions behind an nginx proxy.
Authentication at the CAS server is not RESTful due to (I believe) the Spring
conversational state.

A shared session would be one way to accomplish that, but that seems like a
rather complex solution to me.
We've tested with sticky sessions and had satisfactory results.

Thanks,
Carl Waldbieser
ITS Identity Management
Lafayette College

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Steiner" <stei...@rutgers.edu>
To: cas-user@lists.jasig.org
Cc: "Aditi Deshmukh" <ad...@oit.rutgers.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 6, 2015 12:36:59 PM
Subject: [cas-user] Problem with CAS Clustering and LT parameter

We've been running a load-balanced CAS cluster of two nodes for a number of
years now.  The TicketRegistry is rep/memcached. Evidently our LT processing has
been broken for quite some time.  As we are trying to upgrade from 3.3.5 to
3.5.2 we noticed problems due to the LT parameter not being accessible across
both CAS instances. In researching this, the Cas Clustering wiki page
(https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASUM/Clustering+CAS) suggests to use Tomcat
Session Replication.

We don't have any experience with Tomcat Session Replication.  Is this
definitely the way to go?  How does this hold up under heavy loads?  I'm
assuming no one is recommending sticky sessions at the load balancer?  Reasons?
Also, I read some messages about putting the LT parameter into the
TicketRegistry.  Was that ever tried?  Is it something that the CAS community
recommends or not?

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.

-ds