> I'm only considering shared sessions because that seems to be what's
> recommended
> in the CAS wiki.

I don't feel like the CAS wiki ever had any good high-level discussion of
HA. In any case the new-ish CAS4 documentation has a HA page that spells
out session affinity as a requirement for active/active deployments:

http://jasig.github.io/cas/4.0.x/planning/High-Availability-Guide.html

> Our networking team was unsure how sticky sessions at the load balancer
> would
> affect things (like applications validating STs, etc).

It tends to create hot spots on one node for a particular service, thus if
you have a single that produces the heaviest load on CAS, it till tend to
get pegged to a single node instead of distributing load throughout all
peers in the pool. Failover characteristics are exactly the same as without
session affinity. We've found that hot spots can cause trouble in fairly
extreme circumstances [1], but in most cases it's a non-issue.

[1] Once a CAS-enabled timeclock application got in a redirect loop that
generated millions of service tickets in a ~120m period. Our service,
remarkably, held up due to a cache-backed ticket registry that simply
purged old entries to hold the flood of tickets. The CPU on the node
handling all that traffic went red and sent off alarms, but held up
admirably.