Henry, spot on!  I had checked out a newer version of casper mlib before
adding dac_mkid and never upgraded my environment vars.  Thanks -

Now .. unfortunately .. another error that has me stuck:

Writing NGC file "../mkid_newgf17_gbe0_wrapper.ngc" ...

Writing NGCBUILD log file "../mkid_newgf17_gbe0_wrapper.blc"...

NGCBUILD done.

Rebuilding cache ...
ERROR:MDT - platgen failed with errors!
make: *** [implementation/system.bmm] Error 2
ERROR:MDT - Error while running "make -f system.make bits"
No changes to be saved in MSS file
Saved project XMP file
Error using ==> gen_xps_files at 680
Programation files generation failed, EDK compilation probably also failed.

Steve