On 01/30/2014 07:33 AM, Jack Hickish wrote:
Hi Paul,

I believe the "placement cost table" is the parameter you want to
change (See http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/35534.html).
You should be able to change this and other compile parameters in
xps_base/XPS_ROACH[2]_base/etc/fast_runtime.opt
Thanks Jack! There's a lot for me there to sink my teeth into. I'll check it out.

I did a few more experiments which I believe confirms what you've been telling me:
   * changing a subsystem name changes results
   * replacing an edge with gotos does *not* cause changes
   * adding a random comment does *not* cause changes
You might find that you get on better changing the effort/optimization
settings than the starting placer cost table. I'd be interested to
hear any changes which you find particularly useful.

FWIW, I would just import a compile into planahead, and vary the
options from there. Then you can save the different strategies and
keep track of which ones work (and have a nice gui to tell you what
the options actually do). You can also spawn multiple compiles with
different options (on multiple servers, if you have them), for when
things get *really* desperate...
I've toyed with Planahead a bit, and quickly found I was in way over my head. Could you recommend a good starting point for learning this tool?

Cheers,
Jack