> I've toyed with Planahead a bit, and quickly found I was in way over my
> head.  Could you recommend a good starting point for learning this tool?

I'm sure you've found the planahead user guide, which is a bit of a
documentation behemoth, but useful if you have a vague idea of what
setting you're trying to change and just want to find the right thing
to click.

There's a reasonable "quick" intro here --
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/PlanAhead_Tutorial_Quick_Front-to-Back_Overview.pdf

And in general a bunch of tutorials:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/index.html/content/xilinx/en/supportNav/design_tools/planahead.html

A couple of potentially handy methodology guides are also available
for floorplanning:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/Floorplanning_Methodology_Guide.pdf

And planahead in general:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/PlanAhead_Methodology_Guide_11_1.pdf
(there's probably a more up to date version of this but i haven't
stumbled on it yet)

These are all much shorter than the full user guide, and might help
give a better overview of what's going on. Ryan Monroe also wrote a
summary of some work he did to optimize a ROACH2 design which he
posted on the maillist a while ago:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2832602/roach2_timing.zip

And there's a very brief overview on the wiki --
https://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/Speed_Optimization_with_PlanAhead

I think some combination of these documents and experimentation is
probably as good a start as any. I'd recommend starting with the
planahead overview, and go from there [with the caveat that I count
myself only marginally proficient with planahead, so ymmv].

Good luck!

Jack