I found before the firmware upgrade the problems were very hardware dependent.

Eg, all ports would have errors with mellanox 3m cables, whilst with
shorter (2m, non-mellanox) cables, most ROACH2 ports would work,
though some would have occassional errors.

After the firmware upgrade, the mellanox 3m cables worked everywhere,
but the unbranded 2m still gave errors in certain ports.

As far as I could tell, (though I didn't pursue this as vigorously as
I could, since Jason's report was that the switch wouldn't work
straight out the box) there were no problems when sending
ROACH2->switch, only the other way round.

I'm trying to buy an SX1012 in the UK at the moment, and will need to
test again with higher traffic rates. I'll let the list know how
things go...

Jack