On 08.03.2013 22:47, Donald Stufft wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2013, at 4:45 PM, "M.-A. Lemburg" <m...@egenix.com> wrote:

>>> We cannot download and rehost (even if we call it a cache) external files
>>> without getting permission from their owners to do so.
>>
>> Well, in the CDN version of the /simple/ dir, they would look
>> like files hosted on the CDN. The download pages would still
>> be feeding the CDN, though.
>
> I'm unsure what you're saying here. If it involves downloading files hosted
> outside of PyPI and putting it on a PSF controlled CDN it's a non starter.

My idea was to have PyPI send a redirect to the external URL
when getting a request for the file, so we could avoid hosting
the files and instead just have the CDN cache them for a certain
time period.

However, I've now read up on the CloudFront docs, which point
out that the CDN won't follow the redirect, but simply forward
it to the user, bypassing the CDN:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/RequestAndResponseBehaviorCustomOrigin.html#ResponseCustomRedirects

I suspect other CDNs to work in the same way, so the redirect
idea doesn't work.

We'd have to use a proxy solution on the PyPI server to make the
caching CDN work, but that will likely cause more legal problems
than the plain caching of content on the way to the user.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 07 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/