On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Trishank Karthik Kuppusamy
<t...@students.poly.edu> wrote:
> On 03/13/2013 02:15 PM, Daniel Holth wrote:
>>

>> With all the different kinds of metadata, It's interesting to note
>> that currently TUF seems to only be concerned with the available file
>> names and their integrity. (Some of us will think of PEP 426
>> "PKG-INFO" first when we hear the word metadata.)
>

> Yes, you are right that the many different kinds of metadata in this
> discussion (TUF metadata, PyPI metadata) makes things a little confusing
> sometimes! :))
>
> My understanding of PEP 426 is that the distribution metadata is specified
> by the developer with the setup.py script.
>
> To take the running Django example, since the Django developers will sign
> everything under the Django role with their own keys that the D role will
> talk about, setup.py, as well as the generated "PKG-INFO", will be signed by
> the Django developers. This means that pip + TUF will be able to verify
> these distribution metadata indirectly via the source distribution package.
>
> Does this answer your question?

Thanks, yes. The individual .tar.gz distributions do contain PKG-INFO
but we would eventually like to expose it in a more efficient way.
Then to be suitably paranoid you would also have to check that it
matched the package you downloaded! :(

Also note that on http://crate.io the simple index works the same way
as on pypi, except that the actual packages are on a different (CDN)
host.

Thanks,

Daniel