On 3/14/13 3:03 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

I think what you currently propose (signing the metadata pip already
understands) is a good first step, especially if we can have PyPI
signing *all* the target metadata in the initial deployment, and defer
the delegation to package developers until the next phase of the
rollout (we obviously want to do that eventually, but it's easier if
we can get a preliminary version working without needing to change the
upload tools).

While such an approach doesn't immediately give us the end-to-end
security we ultimately want to set up, it means a few things become
possible:
1. Rather than requiring every developer to start signing end-to-end
metadata immediately, we can ask a few major projects (e.g. Django,
Zope, NumPy) if they're willing to serve as guinea pigs for the
developer target signing delegations. Once we're happy the signing
process is usable, we can make it generally available as an option to
projects (while also allowing them to continue with PyPI's existing
upload mechanisms and only offer PyPI-user integrity checks rather
than developer-user)
2. Gives the PSF infrastructure team and the PyPI maintainers a chance
to work with the installation tool developers to get the PyPI-user
link sorted out, before needing to work on the developer-PyPI link
3. Considering alternate mirroring solutions based on replicating the
TUF metadata rather than PEP 381

Eventually I would also like to tunnel a subset of the PEP 426
metadata through TUF's "custom" fields, but again, I think we're
better off skipping that for the first iteration. Incremental
enhancements are a good thing :)

This sounds good to me --- I like the idea of incremental enhancements. Justin, what are your thoughts from a security perspective?