I've heard this debated by many birders at many levels.  Many pros and cons
have been argued. It is worthy of more research in to what if any negative or
positive impact playback  has on individual birds, bird populations, bird
conservation & funding.  Ecotourism in general has pros and cons but
researchers  have to be willing to do the research to find out  what human
impacts have on wildlife.

Certainly one should adhere to some kind of guidelines regarding playback.  I'm
including links to several articles that outline this debate and propose such
guidelines.

I know playback has been used as a teaching tool for decades. Mobbing &
chickadee tapes in addition to a stuffed owl were used on most of the graduate
level Ornithology (in North Carolina) field trips when I was a student in 1990.
Instructors usually give playback  guidelines.

As far as SFO (Spring Field Ornithology) playback is used very infrequently.
Most field trips it is used not at all and the times it is used averages
perhaps just a couple minutes total per trip. So fear not, playback used very
conservatively in SFO in my opinion as a former student.  I  attended every SFO
trip possible from 2008-2011 including all the full weekend trips.

I'm glad someone reminds us all to be mindful about playback. I consider myself
a moderate on the issue as I see definite pros and potential cons for the
birds. Looking forward to research that gives us more answers.  I'd be willing
to help conduct any such research if anyone is brave enough to want to find out
the truth and there were funders. :-) Surely someone must be working on this
already?

http://10000birds.com/playback-of-bird-calls-benefits-some-birds.htm

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/04/the-proper-use-of-playback-in-birding/

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~smithsm/Impact%20of%20Playback%20on%20Birds.pdf

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 8, 2012, at 9:36 AM, John and Sue Gregoire <