Fellow birders.

       Of course, the earth was created for our pleasure and
everything in and on it is here to entertain us.
We are superior and able to devise clever things that affect these
creatures; if something enhances our enjoyment, what else matters?
It is of little concern to us that our calling them may expose them
to predation, tire them or otherwise interfere with their lives.  Who cares?

      If a bird is killed in the forest, it is not real unless we see
it.   And, if we see it, that is of interest to us and therefore it
is as it should be.
Animals may readily be used for experimentation of various sorts to
benefit us.  We may take specimens and study their dead bodies.
After all, any suffering is theirs, not ours.  They are not as real as we are.

       We will continue to entertain ourselves, read our magazines,
gather their calls so that once they are extinct, we can still amuse
ourselves by seeing photos and hearing their sounds.

      Let the chips, creatures, etc. fall where they may.  We can
think of endless reasons to justify our actions.   It's all about us.

Anthropocentrism is the Achilles' heel of our species and may well
seal our own fate.  However, we will probably still be congratulating
ourselves as we step into the void.

Regi