And, the deer don't graze on the forsythia!  Marsha Kardon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nancy W Dickinson" <n...@cornell.edu>
To: "CAYUGABIRDS-L" <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:52:30 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] forsythia for birds

Since this has been such a spectacular season for forsythia, I thought I'd
mention that my bird feeding area is flanked on both sides by large forsythia
bushes. In every season, the feeder birds find shelter there between feedings,
and when danger threatens. Right now the bushes are beautiful AND full of
birds, and my FOY Chipping Sparrow just popped out of one for a few minutes of
pecking at the seed on the ground. One of my bushes is ancient and huge, and
requires twice-a-year pruning (not to confine its shape, just its size), but
the other is only a few years old, an off-shoot of the older one, and is a
usual staging area for sparrows and juncos etc. on their way to the feeder. A
cheap, simple landscaping plant! I recommend it. (Also, in cold winters, birds
seem to eat the buds, and in those years, my forsythia blooms in October!)

Nancy Dickinson
Mecklenburg
Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
Archives:
The Mail Archive
Surfbirds
BirdingOnThe.Net
Please submit your observations to eBird !