I have watched Zone-tailed in the SW, and they really do fly like Turkey
Vultures.  Everything I can see in the third picture does look very consistent
with Zone-tailed (except for one thing), but if you didn't notice the flight
style, it probably isn't one.  The one thing is the shape of the wing trailing
edge- it's a little bit bulged in the secondaries and somewhat pinched in at
the body, whereas Zone-tailed usually looks very straight- see for instance the
photo on the Wikipedia page of a Zone-tailed from almost the same perspective
as your third picture.  Was the bird flapping when you took the second picture-
I would expect more dihedral for soaring Zone-tailed. I absolutely agree about
the first picture- the apparent color is false, due to out-of-focus chromatic
aberration.

 If it's a B-wing, it's doing an amazing job of disguising itself: shape and
proportions don't look right at all.  The tail banding pattern is very clearly
visible, and not right for Red-shouldered. The sound of Zone-tailed call is
more pure whistle- less screechy or scratchy- than Red-Tailed, but not so
terribly different if you're not paying close attention.  But, would a
solitary, lost Zone-tailed be likely to be calling at all?

Interesting! But I'm definitely no expert.

--John Greenly