Hi All,

It felt good to drive around today with the windows down and the sun shining. I
thought I might let people know where there is some open water with some birds.
Mud Lock is quite free of ice and a person with a scope had his eye on a
Long-tailed Duck. There were a few Red-breasted Mergansers and an Eagle was in
the tree near the nest.  I didn't stay as the driveway is not plowed, but there
were other waterfowl as well. A later stop in the day had hardly any birds.
Must be the Eagle is hunting there. The damn on the Clyde River off of Route 89
had quite a few birds at the foot of the damn which is the only open water.
There were Common Mergansers, Golden Eyes, Herring Gulls, Red-headed Ducks,
Red-breasted Mergansers, and 4 Great-blue Herons that looked like they were
enduring the cold. A Red-tail joined in when I was leaving. I passed a
Rough-legged hawk on Route 89 near Tyre and found a beautiful dark morph on
Armitage Rd. near the Eagle's nest. I think I saw an eagle there too, but I was
concentrating  on the Rough leg. I came upon a small flock of Turkeys on Leader
Rd. that were eating sumac. One was up in the trees shaking some down for the
rest. I did not find the Gyrfalcon.

As much as today felt like a gift, I bet the wildlife was grateful for some
sun. Here is a photo of the Rough-legged Hawk.

http://www.dianawhitingphotography.com/Galleries/Birds/Birds-of-Prey/13273665_3ptKMG#!i=3893769030&k=TX2HMgF

Diana Whiting

Diana Whiting

http://www.dianawhitingphotography.com/