...on rural Lansing Station Rd by Cayuga Lake. Mostly nature sounds and no
lake-enhanced human voices, lawn mowers or motor boats, as I enjoy my coffee on
the screened part of the back deck that is surrounded by huge oak branches! It
is truly a tree house.

The local Common Loon uttered its haunting cry a couple times right here at
#535; yesterday it was up north by Milliken Point.
A male Rose Breasted Grosbeak had a standoff with a Blue Jay on the perch of my
squirrel-proof sunflower feeder and won.

A mother BC Chickadee finally seems to have taught its juvenile how to get
seeds from this feeder on the open part of my deck. Yesterday I saw her
laboriously peck open a seed and feed the contents to the baby, who then turned
around and seemed to get its own seed. The A. Goldfinch gang is on the Nyjer
seed feeder as usual, and the Mo Does are cooing on the platform feeder in the
yard, often joined by C. Grackles.

The Downy Woodpecker is pecking the wooden trim on my house (sigh) between
getting seeds. Its relatives, the Red Bellied and the Hairy fly in now and
then. The Tufted Titmouse family zooms in too and the Carolina Wren is calling
nearby. Somebody flew out from my front porch ceiling bird nest basket area
when I went out there earlier - a late nest?

The quiet continues at 10:20, a nice interlude in the usual noisy hum of human
motors and activities.

Donna L. Scott
535 Lansing Station Road
Lansing