Pete, that figure is loose and derived from decades of banding data from Cape
May
Point and elsewhere. It is the rough mortality figure used by PWRC and others
for
all raptors, not just eagles. As a point of interest, the return on raptor
bands is
quite high as opposed to passerines where it is way under 1 % !
John
--
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists