This is my opinion, but typically anything like you are stating below where
something would grade the "major behavior" you could also replace that
statement with "basic requirements".  If you can't get a gateway configured,
if you can't get DHCP configured, if you can't bring CallManager services
up, these are all basic things.  This is an EXPERT test and if you can't get
the basic things configured then you probably shouldn't pass.  I'm trying
not to be an ass on this, but the things specifically mentioned (an E1
gateway not being configured, DHCP not being configured) are basic
functionality that someone who can pass this test should be able to do in
their sleep.

As far as grading beyond the basic stuff, I found that on the attempts that
I failed the lab, thinking back on it the reason that I failed on at least
one attempt was not because I didn't have something "working", it was
because I didn't read the question close enough for the clues that told me I
had to configure something a certain way (or not use a certain way).  When I
did pass the test, I spent almost as much time reading it as I did testing
my solutions.  Just keep in mind that just because something appears to be
working it may not be the correct solution given the specific (and
oftentimes subtle) requirements of the question.

John.