  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Snow
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 4:46 PM
To: ccievoice1
Cc: CCIE Maillist; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [OSL | CCIE_Voice] QoS question

Hey ccievoice1,

This was covered by a post in a bit of excess not a month ago (Jan 24 I
believe) - but nevertheless I posted all of the scenarios and calculations
from that email below for your reference:

Scenario >> Voice Bandwidth( Layer 2 Overhead),  [compress header ip rtp]
sampling rate - 20ms:

20 bytes <-- G.729 media payload>
  2 bytes <-- L3/L4 Header Compressed with cRTP (Normal sizes WITHOUT
compression are 20 bytes for IP, 8 bytes for UDP, 12 bytes for RTP: for a
total of 40 bytes for the L3/L4 Header)>
+4 bytes <-- frame relay header
-------------
= 26 bytes
*8 bits per byte  <-- convert to kilobits>
-------------
= 208 bits
*50 <-- based on 50 pps>
-------------
10,400 bits per second or 10.4kbps per G729 call
(round up to 11Kbps for QoS -- Always want to have slightly more bandwidth -
rather than less bandwidth reserved!)

-------------------------

Scenario >> Voice Bandwidth( Layer 2 Overhead),  NO cRTP compression,
sampling rate - 20ms:

20 bytes <-- G.729 media payload>
40 bytes <-- L3/L4 Header Non-Compressed (20 bytes for IP, 8 bytes for UDP,
12 bytes for RTP: for a total of 40 bytes for the L3/L4 Header)>
+4 bytes <-- frame relay header
-------------
= 64 bytes
*8 bits per byte  <-- convert to kilobits>
-------------
= 512 bits
*50 <-- based on 50 pps>
-------------
25,600 bits per second or 25.6kbps per G729 call
(round up to 26Kbps for QoS)

-------------------------

Scenario >> Voice Bandwidth( Layer 2 Overhead),  NO cRTP compression, ADD
Frame Relay Fragmentation (FRF.12), sampling rate - 20ms:

20 bytes <-- G.729 media payload>
40 bytes <-- L3/L4 Header Non-Compressed (20 bytes for IP, 8 bytes for UDP,
12 bytes for RTP: for a total of 40 bytes for the L3/L4 Header)>
+8 bytes <-- frame relay header with FRF.12 compression
-------------
= 68 bytes
*8 bits per byte  <-- convert to kilobits>
-------------
= 544 bits
*50 <-- based on 50 pps>
-------------
27,200 bits per second or 27.2kbps per G729 call
(round up to 28Kbps for QoS)

-------------------------

Scenario >> Voice Bandwidth( Layer 2 Overhead),  NO cRTP compression, ADD
use MLPPP over Frame Relay, (No FRF.12 - not compatible with MLPPP anyhow),
sampling rate - 20ms:

20 bytes <-- G.729 media payload>
40 bytes <-- L3/L4 Header Non-Compressed (20 bytes for IP, 8 bytes for UDP,
12 bytes for RTP: for a total of 40 bytes for the L3/L4 Header)>
13 bytes <-- MLPPP header
+8 bytes <-- frame relay header
-------------
= 77 bytes
*8 bits per byte  <-- convert to kilobits>
-------------
= 616 bits
*50 <-- based on 50 pps>
-------------
30,800 bits per second or 30.8kbps per G729 call
(round up to 31Kbps for QoS)

Hope that helps some,

Mark Snow
CCIE #14073 (Voice, Security)
CCSI #31583
Senior Technical Instructor - IPexpert, Inc.
A Cisco Learning Partner - We Accept Learning Credits!
Telephone: +1.810.326.1444
Fax: +1.309.413.4097
Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IPexpert - The Global Leader in Self-Study, Classroom-Based, Video On Demand
and Audio Certification Training Tools for the Cisco CCIE R&S Lab, CCIE
Security Lab, CCIE Service Provider Lab , CCIE Voice Lab and CCIE Storage
Lab Certifications.