If you have already associated that user with the phone then it would be grayed out.
Check that at end user you have selected "Allow control of device from CTI" and you have added "CTI enabled" in groups.
At the end user, also check device association..it must have CUPC and Physical phone.

If it still doesn't work then I would go for deleting the user, making it again as above and then associating it with the devices.

J Hogan wrote:
it seems that on the phone(7942) that the user who is not working will not allow me to set the "owner user ID" it is grayed out.