The MLS QOS trust commands are used to determine how an internal DSCP value is derived which will be used in physical queue assignments. You either 1) Trust the incomming L2 COS value with the "mls qos trust cos" command which intern uses the COS-DSCP map to derive the internal DSCP value, or 2) you Trust the incomming DSCP value with the "mls qos trust dscp" command which intern uses the incomming DSCP value as the internal DSCP value. There is also a 3rd option to not trust anything incomming but use your own class maps to classify, policy maps to mark and this will be used to derive the internal DSCP value which determines the physical queue the packet gets put in to.

Another note is that the mls qos trust cos/dscp are mutually exclusive, meaning it is one or the other (not both). If both are specified in the config the one listed last in the config wins.

Also, I've seen in many configurations the mls qos trust command accompanied with Service policy command that has it own class-maps (for classification) and policy-maps for marking, in this case the mls qos trust statements are ignored and the class-maps/policy-maps from the service policy command are used.

In summary your thinking is correct, you will use either the "cos-dscp" maps or trust the incoming DSCP value or don't trust anything, to derive the internal dscp value (which is everything).

This is covered in more detail in the " Switch Configuration Guide" for each IOS version of each switch. These maps are either defined per port (as in the 3550) or globally via the queue set command (as on the 2960, 2560, 3750 switches).

Brian